“Disgruntled, disillusioned and disengaged” – that’s the UK population’s attitude to politics, according to a survey published today.
No surprises there. Even the most moronic UK citizen has begun to notice that whomever we elect, nothing changes. We get the same attitudes, the same assumptions and the same basic policies regardless who’s in power. It’s a phenomenon that began in about 1986 and has gathered steam ever since.
Reflecting on this today, I wondered what a different politics would look like: an honest politics.
God knows, I’m no fan of politicians, but I do sympathise with their basic dilemma: If they told us the truth about the state of our nation, and what they intend to do, we’d never elect them. When they don’t (because they can’t), we accuse them of lying and become ‘disillusioned, disgruntled”…. etc.
You’re going to be poorer and pay more tax – much more tax
Here’s the ‘truth’ manifesto for any politician standing for election in the UK today:
- We’re going to tax the hell out of you. No choice, pal: the government’s bust.
- You’re gonna see a shit load of colleagues, friends and family lose their jobs. If you’re ‘lucky’ enough to keep yours, you’ll be paying for them – cos the state can’t afford to.
- See above. The welfare benefits you’ve taken for granted all these years are on the way out. Enjoy what’s left of ‘em while you can.
- Your costs are gonna soar. Fuel, basic foodstuffs, you name it… it’s all getting pricier.
- It’s very likely that you’ll die in poverty: Pensions are utterly fucked and getting more fucked as people live longer. Plus any savings you’ve put away are going to be destroyed by inflation. Why? Because inflation’s the least painful option for reducing our debt mountain. In the end, it’s the only possible ‘solution’.
- The ‘end of the recession’ is a fairy tale to keep your spirits up. There won’t be an ‘end’ to this recession: it’s the beginning of the end of western dominance. To compete with the emerging economies, we’re going to have to permanently pare back our expectations and our living standards. Deal with it.
- Your children are going to be significantly poorer than you. Deal with that, too.
Not a vote-winner, is it? But it’s the truth.
Remember that next time you’re slagging off a politician for being a slimy, lying sonofabitch. All he did, when you elected him, was tell you what you want to hear.